Tuscan Beef Tagliata With Arugula, Tomatoes, & Gorgonzola Crumbles
We love to grill on warm summer nights to help keep the kitchen cool and to be honest, grilled food simply tastes great, especially when dining outdoors. Although we do not eat a lot of red meat, I crave a good steak on the grill every once in a while. Tagliata is a Tuscan steak cooked rare, sliced, and often served on a bed of peppery arugula. The steak is drizzled in good quality extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt.
Since we first tasted this fantastic dish in Tuscany over thirty years ago, this has been our preferred way to serve steak. I recently started to add some chopped, sweet cherry tomatoes on top and some Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, and I have to say, the flavor combination is fantastic. One benefit of serving steak this way is that you tend to eat less, so three-quarters of a pound of grass-fed steak serves both my husband and me very comfortably.
In Tuscany, you are not asked how you want your steak cooked, as it is always cooked rare. In Tuscany, the white Chianina cows are considered best for any cut of beef, but here in the US, I look for grass-fed beef. Once you’ve tasted a top-quality grass-fed steak cooked rare, I do not think you’ll want it prepared any other way! We usually buy a New York boneless strip steak, and as I said, three-quarters of a pound is more than enough for the two of us.
Deborah Mele 2021
Beef Tagliata With Arugula, Tomatoes, & Gorgonzola Crumbles
A Tuscan style sliced grilled steak topped with tomatoes and Gorgonzola crumbles.
- 1 1/2 Pounds New York Strip or Ribeye Steak
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus More For Drizzling
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Bunches Fresh Baby Arugula, Washed & Dried
- 1 1/2 Pints Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1/3 Cup Gorgonzola Cheese Crumbles
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Place the steak, olive oil, and pepper in a casserole dish.
- Rub the rosemary with your fingers and add to the oil.
- Roll the steak in the oil mixture and let marinate at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Sear the steak on each side for 2 to 3 minutes on direct heat, then move off the heat and cook another 5to 6 minutes on indirect heat to rare or medium rare.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and cover with foil.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Slice beef diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
- Lay the arugula on a platter, then arrange the steak slices on top.
- Arrange the tomatoes and gorgonzola cheese on top.
- Drizzle the steak with more olive oil, then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 766Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 53g
One of my favorite ways to eat beef!