Caponata is a Sicilian recipe combining a variety of vegetables that is often served as an antipasto dish. It can also be a veggie side dish to serve with roasted or grilled meat or even on a panini. My favorite way to enjoy caponata is with some soft cheese such as Telaggio and crusty Italian bread.
There are so many variations to this dish, and I have made it in various ways myself. This version has become my favorite way to prepare it as it has almost a sweet and sour flavor that I find very appealing. The trick to making a great caponata is to not overcook the vegetables. You do not want them crunchy, but cooking them until they are mushy is not ideal either.
This time when I prepared my caponata the vegetables had more liquid than usual. I love to sop up all those delicious juices with crusty Italian bread, so I kept the liquid. If you do not want so much liquid, feel free to drain some off out of the caponata.
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Eggplant, Cut Into 1-inch Chunks
- 1 Medium Zucchini, Cut Into 1-inch chunks
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 Medium Red Pepper, Cored & Seeded, And Chopped
- 1 Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper, Cored & Seeded, And Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/3 Cup Golden Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Pitted & Chopped Kalamata Olives
- 2 Tablespoons Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts
- 2 Tablespoons Drained Small Capers
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Pinch Red Chili Flakes
- 1 Cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Mint Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Runny Honey
- In a large skillet, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and cook the eggplant cubes until soft and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add more olive oil as needed, and add the zucchini, onion, peppers, and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables begin to soften and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Return the eggplant to the paean, and add the raisins, olives, pine nuts, capers, salt and pepper, chili flakes, and tomatoes.
- Cook for another 7 to 8 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the vinegar, mint and honey and stir to mix well.
- Let mixture come to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 18gProtein: 3g