I don’t know about you, but I start planning my holiday baking weeks in advance. Some cookies you cannot bake ahead of time, but there are cookies that you can bake ahead of time and freeze, and these cookies are one of them.
I am a sucker for shortbread cookies and have to hide them from myself over the holidays to prevent overindulging. These easy four ingredient cookies may look fancy, but are really easy to make. For the lightest batter, it is important to ensure that your butter is softened to room temperature.
I kept my cookies simple and just dusted them with powdered sugar, but you could also leave out the chocolate chips I used, and instead decorate them with a glaze, a drizzle of dark melted chocolate, or even colored sprinkles.
- 3 Cups Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 1/2 Cups Sifted Powdered Sugar
- 4 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Cups Mini Chocolate Chips (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour and cornstarch.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the butter mixture beating on low until just mixed.
- If adding chocolate chips, stir them into the batter now.
- Scoop the dough by the tablespoon, and roll into a ball.
- Place on baking sheet spacing cookies out at least an inch between.
- Press the top of each cookie with a fork to create an indentation.
- You can also use your thumb or spoon for thumbprint cookies.
- If adding sprinkles, add them before baking.
- If making thumbprint cookies, add a spoonful of jam into the indentation created.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then cool on the pan.
- Either dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate when cool.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g