Cacio e Pepe is a Roman pasta dish made simply with cheese and pepper. The cheese of choice is Pecorino Romano, and when mixed with pasta along with a little pasta water, a creamy sauce is created with just a bite from the black pepper. I have made this pasta often throughout the years, but until recently I never thought about using the Pecorino Romano cheese and black pepper combination on potatoes.
This combination worked so well on roasted potatoes that I wondered why I hadn’t thought of it sooner. The potatoes ended up with a creamy center and crisp outer crust that was addictive.
- 3 Pounds Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Finely Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes, and cut in half.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and toss with the olive oil, pepper, and salt to coat.
- Lay the potatoes across a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes.
- Return the tray to the oven and bake another 5 minutes or until the potatoes are brown and crisp.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 662mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g