Asparagus and peas are an excellent combination for salads when in season. By adding protein such as eggs and burrata, this salad can be a complete meal to be enjoyed as a light dinner entree. The vegetables are quickly blanched until they remain tender-crisp and are then placed in an ice-water bath to stop the cooking process and to help the vegetables retain their bright green color.
Having eleven chickens, I always have eggs on hand, and I often add them to our salads for added protein. I cook my eggs for salads until the whites are firm but the yolks are still soft, about seven minutes. Although burrata is not necessary, it does add a creamy texture that goes well in this salad.
My favorite dressing for a salad such as this one is a red wine vinaigrette, our own extra virgin olive oil, just a touch of Dijon mustard, and a little drizzle of honey. If I was in Italy, where I could buy fresh artichoke right now, I’d use those. Unfortunately, fresh artichokes are not easy to find here in Florida, so I use either marinated ones. You could also add sugar snap peas to this salad, or whole-grain croutons would be delicious also.
- 1 Pound Asparagus, Ends Trimmed, And Spears Cut Into 3-inch Pieces
- 2 Cups Shelled Peas, Fresh or Thawed Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Diced Pancetta
- 1 Cup Marinated Artichokes, Drained
- 1 (4 Ounce) Ball Burrata
- 2 Large Eggs (Optional)
- 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Have ready a large bowl filled with ice and water.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook until bright green and just tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus to the ice bath.
- Add the peas to the boiling water and cook until bright green and just crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove these to the ice bath with the slotted spoon also.
- Cook the eggs in the boiling water for about 7 minutes until whites are firm but yolks are still soft.
- In a small frying pan, over medium heat, cook the pancetta until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Let the vegetables cool completely, then drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients until blended.
- Arrange the asparagus, peas, artichokes, and pancetta on a platter.
- Peel the eggs and cut in half and add to the platter.
- Cut the burrata into half or quarters and arrange on the platter.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 15g