It has been scorching hot here in SW Florida lately, and when it is this warm, I am not that hungry and do not feel like making elaborate meals. I have been enjoying a lot of salads, incorporating beans or grains into my salads and often topping them with a protein such as grilled chicken or shrimp. Salads like this are very satisfying and filling and can be adapted to whatever fresh, seasonal vegetables you have on hand. This easy salad combines nutty, chewy farro, peppery arugula, and sweet cherry tomatoes. After dressing the salad, I served it topped with some lightly toasted pine nuts for crunch and shaved Parmesan cheese. This salad would be a great side dish option for grilled meat or seafood without additional protein.
Ancient grains such as farro are an excellent base for any salad. Farro is rich in fiber, has 28 grams of protein per cup, is full of antioxidants, and is fat-free and low-calorie. Farro is also rich in magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B3. So, as well as tasting great, farro is good for you too!
Deborah Mele 2022
- 1 Cup Whole Grain Farro
- 3 Teaspoons Salt, Divided
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups Arugula
- 1 Cup Halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Parsley and Fresh Mint
- 1/2 Cup Lightly Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- In a medium saucepan, bring the farro, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 cups water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, then cook until farro is tender, but still slightly chewy to the bite, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer farro to a bowl to cool.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, pepper, and remaining salt in a small bowl.
- Pour over the farro and toss to mix.
- Just before serving, toss the dressed farro with the arugula, tomatoes, herbs, and pine nuts just until mixed.
- Serve topped with the shaved Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 1284mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g