I will only buy fruit in season, so when local peaches finally show up in our area markets, I tend to go a little overboard. My husband eats a lot of fruit throughout the day, but we sometimes have too many perfectly ripened peaches to eat all at once. I like to use peaches while they were at their peak, so I often bake some treats with the ripe peaches, including this unique focaccia bread.
This focaccia is both sweet and savory and could be enjoyed at any time of the day. I can envision serving slices of this focaccia to guests as an appetizer with a glass of white wine or serving it with a glass of sweet wine for dessert. The focaccia dough includes just a little sugar and an egg, which ensures that the focaccia is very tender.
For The Focaccia:
- 5 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Luke Warm Water
- 2 Large Ripe Peaches, Halved, Pitted & Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Fresh Thyme
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, yeast, oil, egg, sugar, and salt, then add just enough warm water to create a workable, shaggy dough.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 7 minutes, or until smooth and shiny.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place the bowl in a warm spot in the kitchen, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a 15 x 10-inch baking sheet and press the dough in to fit.
- Press your fingertips over the top of the dough to create dimples.
- Arrange the peach slices, sugar, and thyme evenly over the top of the focaccia.
- Drizzle with olive oil, let rest for 20 minutes, then bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 7g